Tencent technology news on June 12, as early as 2015, when Microsoft was ready to release its windows 10 operating system, an employee disclosed that “windows 10 will be the last version of windows”. But last week, Microsoft announced that it would hold an online event to unveil the “next generation of windows.”.
Six years after the employee’s comments, the world’s second-largest listed technology company has every reason to change direction. Although Microsoft has diversified its business in the past 30 years, windows is undoubtedly still very important to the company’s image and financial situation. The company logo is still a window.
Here are nine possible reasons why Microsoft decided to launch a major update to windows. Some people suspect that its new version may be called Windows 11, rather than just enhancing windows 10 twice a year.
1) This is good for Microsoft’s business. Microsoft has said that the release of new versions of large-scale products such as windows has led to an increase in Microsoft’s revenue growth rate in the past. This is partly due to the purchase of personal computers with manufacturer’s pre installed Microsoft software. Historically, the operating profit margin of windows business is higher than that of Microsoft as a whole. Maintaining the growth of windows can make the company more profitable.
2) Deal with tough competition. The outbreak has benefited PC makers, including Microsoft, as people rush to buy computers to work and study at home. Gartner, a technology industry research firm, estimates that PC shipments will grow faster in 2020 than in the past 10 years. This has increased the growth rate of windows license revenue associated with consumer PCs. Therefore, Microsoft can issue windows updates to attract people to buy new computers, so that the results can be compared with the computer boom caused by the epidemic, so as not to bring bad demonstration effect to investors.
3) Google threat. It can be said that the threat from Google Chrome OS has never been greater, because people are buying low-cost chrome Book laptops running Google’s operating system instead of more traditional windows or Apple Mac OS computers. According to Gartner, computer manufacturers will ship 11.7 million chromebooks in 2020. That’s still a small number compared to 79.4 million PC shipments, but chromebook is up 200% and PCs are up about 11%. The challenge for Microsoft is to attract people back.
4) The threat of apple. Apple has launched a Mac running an arm based, self-designed M1 chip, which poses a threat to the windows ecosystem. Compared with personal computers based on Intel processors, apple chips have more impressive battery life. Microsoft and other PC makers have launched arm based windows 10 computers, but software compatibility issues have made it hard for critics to recommend them. Microsoft can improve that. John McPeake, an analyst at Rosenblatt securities, wrote in a note to investors: “if Microsoft and the PC manufacturer ecosystem can provide windows on X86 with almost the same user experience as windows on arm, to meet the heavy tailed demand for productivity applications that are really important to users, coupled with longer battery life We think windows will be a big winner with the performance per watt and 5g capability close to M1. ” Mcpeak gave a “buy” rating on Microsoft shares.
5) Boost surface performance. The scale of surface is far less than that of windows or other Microsoft authorized products, such as azure and office, but Microsoft is still selling its own series of surface personal computers. In the second and third quarters of 2020, surface revenue grew by more than 30%, but it is still far from the explosive growth of chromebook. The rejuvenated windows may allow consumers to re-examine the surface Pro convertible tablet, whose basic hardware design has not changed much since its debut in 2012.
6) Stop it from becoming obsolete. By launching windows 10 updates twice a year, Microsoft ensures the freshness of the operating system. But it’s still nearly six years old, which means it’s been around longer than any of its predecessors.
7) Enhance the brand. The new windows may help to enhance the overall image of the company. Windows 10 is the most popular operating system in the world, with more than 1.3 billion devices using it. If Microsoft can convince users that its operating system is evolving, they may feel that the company’s innovation is still active, which may make them more willing to pay for other Microsoft products, such as office productivity software subscription.
8) Attract developers. If windows is updated, software developers may want to bring their software to the operating system to take advantage of the opportunity to regain public attention. “Windows has been successful largely because developers have chosen to build applications for windows,” Chris caposela, Microsoft’s chief marketing officer, said in a previous conversation with Kirk materne, an evercore analyst The company could benefit by introducing more popular products into its windows app store. If people spend more time in the store, they may also spend more money in the store.
9) The pursuit of perfection. There is still room for improvement in some parts of windows 10, which annoys many users with product promotions and software update reminders. “Our desire for windows 10 is to transform people from need to love,” Satya NADELLA, Microsoft’s chief executive, told analysts on a conference call a few days before the release of the windows operating system in 2015 “The Net Promoter Score of windows 10 is much higher than that of Windows 7,” Microsoft wrote on its website This means that users are more likely to recommend windows 10 to friends or colleagues. This is a positive sign, but it doesn’t mean that Microsoft has realized NADELLA’s plan for the rebirth of windows（ Tencent technology reviser / Jinlu)